Frequently Asked Questions about Dairy Queen: A Guide to Its History, Nutrition, Products, and Store Locations.
- Proceed directly to the content
- Head straight to the Sitemap
- Questions and Answers
- Dairy Queen® Questions and Answers: Background, Nutritional Facts, Offerings, and Locations
Make sure to include your contact details so that we can get in touch with you. Once we receive your signed Agreement for Idea or Story Submission, we will send you a confirmation via mail or email.
If you represent a company or business that has a product or service you wish to propose to our corporation, kindly submit information about your offerings using the online contact form on our Contact Us page. If there is any interest, we will reach out to you for further details.
How can I access an annual report or obtain stock information? Since 1996, IDQ has been privately owned and is now fully owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
You can find their annual reports on their website at http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/.
What is the stock symbol for Dairy Queen®?DQ® is privately held and has been since 1996 when it became a part of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. The ticker symbol or stock symbol for Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. on the NYSE is BRK.
For information on purchasing their stock, you can contact the company at http://www.berkshirehathaway.com.
Where was the very first Dairy Queen® restaurant located? The original DQ® establishment was in Joliet, Illinois. It was managed by Sherb Noble and commenced operations on June 22, 1940. The first Canadian DQ® store opened in Estevan, Saskatchewan in 1953. To learn more about the history of the DQ® system, click on the "About Us" link located at the bottom of this webpage.
How many DQ® restaurants are in operation?The DQ® system boasts over 6,000 locations spread across the United States, Canada, and more than 20 other countries. To locate the nearest DQ outlet to you, enter your postal code into the search field at the top of this webpage and choose "Find your store.
Are you interested in contributing to our event or program? The International Dairy Queen Corporation (IDQ) supports the Children's Miracle Network (CMN) and provides product grants through its DQ® Cares - Product Grant Program.
However, since the majority of DQ® restaurants in the United States and Canada are independently owned and operated franchises, we recommend reaching out to your local store owners for assistance with your request. You can easily locate your nearest DQ® location by visiting our Store Locator.
If you are looking for job opportunities at IDQ Corporate offices, our online tools will assist you in browsing our current corporate job openings and submitting your résumé. You can access these tools here.
By creating a personal profile on IDQ's careers page, you will be included in our searchable database for both current and future staffing needs. We carefully review the qualifications of all applicants and the most suitable individuals will be contacted by telephone.
To find employment at a DQ® restaurant, we advise applying directly at your preferred store. Our website's Store Locator can be helpful in identifying the nearest DQ restaurant.
Which state in the United States has the highest number of Dairy Queen® restaurants? Texas claims this distinction, boasting over 600 locations.
In Canada, which province has the most Dairy Queen® restaurants? Ontario takes the lead with 184 operational locations.
What is the status of Dennis the Menace? The trademark license that International Dairy Queen, Inc. (IDQ) held with the company that owns the rights to Dennis the Menace expired in December 2002. The license has not been renewed.
In addition, select DQ locations offer delivery services through independent providers. You can find more information about DQ Delivers on our website.
We take pride in presenting our delicious soft serve treats known as Royal Treats®. These delectable treats include the Banana Split, the Peanut Buster® Parfait, and various limited-time offers. To discover our latest offerings, please visit our classic treats menu.
As an alternative, you might want to try one of our reduced sugar offerings like the Fudge Bar, Vanilla Orange Bar, or reduced sugar Chocolate Dilly® Bar. However, it's important to keep in mind that these alternatives are reduced sugar, not sugar-free. Most DQ® establishments have one or more of these products available.
Our manufacturing equipment is unable to replicate the distinctive curl found on our Dilly® Bars trademark. However, there are some positives to our manufacturing process. We are able to provide our customers with a variety of additional flavors for our Dilly® Bars, including mint and reduced sugar options.
DQ® soft serve falls into the "reduced-fat" ice cream category, and our shake mix is considered "low-fat" ice cream. Despite the historical category change, our soft serve recipe has remained unchanged. It still contains 5% butterfat, which is significantly different from being 95% fat-free.
- How can I bring a DQ® restaurant to my town or city? We must first be contacted by an interested party who wishes to acquire or construct a restaurant in your area. If you or someone you know is interested, please select the Franchise With Us image located at the bottom of this page for comprehensive information on the various franchising opportunities offered by American Dairy Queen Corporation.
- Why isn't my local Dairy Queen® restaurant participating in your latest promotion? As you may already be aware, DQ® establishments worldwide operate as independently owned and operated franchises. Consequently, the decision to partake in coupon offers or promotions may lie with the franchise proprietor.
- I possess a product or service that I would like to propose to DQ®. How do I proceed? We acknowledge that brilliant concepts are conceived on a daily basis and can originate from various sources. We accept unsolicited ideas from individuals aged 18 or above who complete our Idea or Story Submission Agreement Form and submit it alongside their idea. Please dispatch your idea and a signed copy of the agreement to:
IDQ Fan Relations – Idea or Story Submission Agreement 8000 Tower, Suite 700 8331 Norman Center Drive
Bloomington, MN 55437
Kindly ensure that your contact information is provided so that we may reach out to you. Upon receipt of your signed Idea or Story Submission Agreement, you will receive confirmation via mail or email.
If you represent a company or business that wishes to offer a product or service to the corporation, please submit information regarding your product or service through the online contact form on the Contact Us page. Should there be any interest, you will be contacted for further details.
- How can I access an annual report or obtain stock (holder) information? IDQ has functioned as a privately held company since 1996 and operates as a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
You can find their annual reports on their website at http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/.
- What is the stock symbol for Dairy Queen®? DQ® is privately held and has been since 1996 when it became part of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. The stock symbol for Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. on the NYSE is BRK.
To inquire about purchasing stock, you can contact the company at http://www.berkshirehathaway.com.
- Where was the original Dairy Queen® restaurant? The first DQ® restaurant opened for business in Joliet, Illinois on June 22, 1940. It was operated by Sherb Noble. The first Canadian DQ® store opened in Estevan, Saskatchewan in 1953. For more information about the history of the DQ® system, click on the "About Us" link located at the bottom of this webpage.
- How many DQ® restaurants are there? The DQ® system consists of over 6,000 locations across the United States, Canada, and more than 20 other countries. To find the closest DQ® location to you, simply enter your postal code in the search field at the top of this page and select "Find your store."
- Would you be interested in supporting our event or program with a donation? International Dairy Queen Corporation (IDQ) supports Children's Miracle Network (CMN) and provides product grants through the DQ® Cares - Product Grant Program.
However, since the majority of DQ® restaurants in the United States and Canada are independently owned and operated franchises, we recommend reaching out to your local store owners who may be able to assist you with your request. To find your nearest DQ® location, please use our Store Locator.
- Interested in working at the IDQ Corporate offices? Our online tools can help you explore our current job openings and submit your résumé here.
By creating a personal profile on IDQ's careers page, you will be added to our searchable database for present and future staffing needs. We carefully review the qualifications of all applicants and will contact the most qualified individuals by phone after assessing our current staffing requirements.
To discover employment at a DQ® eatery: kindly apply straightforwardly at the store you desire. You may find the Store Locator on our website advantageous in your pursuit for the nearest DQ restaurant.
Which state in the United States possesses the greatest number of Dairy Queen® restaurants? Texas reigns as the state with the most DQ® restaurants, boasting over 600 locations.
Which Canadian province possesses the greatest number of Dairy Queen® restaurants? Ontario takes the crown with 184 operational DQ® restaurants.
What occurred to Dennis the Menace? The trademark license that International Dairy Queen, Inc. (IDQ) held with the company in possession of the rights to Dennis the Menace expired in December 2002. The trademark license has not been renewed.
Delivery of delectable DQ® food and treats is accessible from select DQ locations through independent delivery services. Take a look at DQ Delivers.
We take great pride in offering some incredibly scrumptious soft serve treats that we refer to as Royal Treats®. Among these delectable delights are the Banana Split, the Peanut Buster® Parfait, and other specials available for a limited time. To discover our latest offerings, explore our classic treats menu.
Do you stock frozen yogurt? At one point, DQ® stores and restaurants did carry frozen yogurt, but we have discontinued offering it in the DQ® system. However, many Orange Julius® products are made with yogurt, so you might want to try out the Orange Julius® smoothies. Alternatively, you could explore the DQ® no reduced sugar products, such as the Fudge Bar, Vanilla Orange Bar, or no sugar-added Chocolate Dilly® Bar. It is important to note that these are no sugar-added, not sugar-free.
Where can I locate nutritional details about your products? If you have a question about the nutritional information for your preferred DQ® treat or food item, visit our nutrition information page to access nutrition and allergen charts. You can also visit the individual product pages for nutrition, ingredient, and allergen information on all approved products within the DQ® system. Be sure to check back regularly! The website is consistently updated with the most recent information on products and promotions as we strive to provide the most precise and up-to-date information available.
- Do you offer soft serve that is sugar-free or fat-free? At this time, we do not provide soft serve options that are specifically reduced in sugar or fat. It's important to note that here at DQ®, we continuously monitor product trends and conduct taste panels with consumers to assess our offerings.
Alternatively, you might be interested in trying our reduced sugar products such as the Fudge Bar, Vanilla Orange Bar, or reduced sugar Chocolate Dilly® Bar. However, please keep in mind that these options are reduced in sugar and not completely sugar-free. Most of our DQ® stores and restaurants carry one or more of these alternatives.
- Why do product variations exist between different locations? The majority of DQ® restaurants in the United States are individually owned and operated franchises. This means that certain DQ® locations may have unique regional or optional items, such as chocolate soft serve or crunchy toppings for cones, which may not be available at every restaurant.
- Why doesn't my Dilly® Bar have a middle curl? Some Dilly® Bars are crafted by the staff at specific DQ® stores, resulting in the signature curl in the center. However, for those DQ® restaurants without sufficient space or staff, their Dilly® Bars are manufactured and packaged in clear plastic without the curl.
Unfortunately, our manufacturing equipment is unable to replicate the trademark curl on all our Dilly® Bars. Nevertheless, there are positive aspects to this manufacturing process. It allows us to offer Dilly® Bars in additional flavors, including mint and reduced sugar varieties.
- Why are there no toys in DQ® Kids Meals? DQ® Kid's Meals do not include a toy. However, they do come with a kid-sized cone as a delightful treat.
- Does your MooLatté® frozen blended coffee drink contain caffeine? Yes, our MooLatté® frozen blended coffee drink does contain caffeine. The amount of caffeine in one 16 oz serving of our MooLatté® is comparable to that of a small cup of coffee.
- Is your soft serve considered ice milk and is it truly 95% fat-free? Technically, our soft serve does not meet the criteria to be classified as ice cream. In order to be labeled as ice cream, there must be a minimum butterfat content of ten percent, while our soft serve only has a butterfat content of five percent. Although our soft serve used to be referred to as "ice milk," the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) eliminated this classification, allowing companies to market frozen dairy products as "reduced-fat," "light," and "low-fat" ice cream instead.
DQ® soft serve finds its place among the ranks of "reduced-fat" ice creams, while our shake mix proudly holds the title of "low-fat" ice cream. However, even though our soft serve has been categorized differently in the past, our recipe remains untarnished. DQ® soft serve contains a modest 5% butterfat, which is distinctly dissimilar from the lofty claim of being 95% fat-free.
A brazier, known as a charcoal grill, received its moniker as the chosen name for DQ® establishments that serve tantalizing burgers. Back in 1957, one of our Territory Operators dedicated themselves to creating a food system that would cater to all DQ® restaurants. The term "Brazier®" itself emerged from a fruitful brainstorming session with our advertising agency.
The origins of the name "Dairy Queen®" trace back to the esteemed Grandpa McCullough, the visionary behind the inception of Dairy Queen® soft serve. Grandpa McCullough christened the store "Dairy Queen®" because he firmly believed that his soft serve reigned supreme among dairy products, embodying the pinnacle of freshness and wholesomeness.
Yearning to bring the delectable delights of DQ® into your home? While DQ® soft serve graces store shelves in Quarts, and novelties like Dilly® Bars come packaged for enjoyment elsewhere, the privilege of indulging in DQ® toppings and other DQ® products remains exclusive to licensed DQ® Franchise operators for distribution in their revered DQ® stores and restaurants.
Ever wondered what mysterious substance binds the paper to your soft serve cone? Believe it or not, it's not glue. It is simply corn syrup, a perfectly safe ingredient for consumption, expertly used to affix the paper wrappers onto our beloved cones.
As for the origins of the name Orange Julius®, it harks back to the man who birthed the legendary stores: Julius Freed. In 1926, Freed launched a stand featuring refreshing orange juice in California. After hearing countless requests for an "orange, Julius," he realized he had concocted an incredibly successful product and found the perfect name for his budding franchising endeavor: Orange Julius®.
Eager to bring a DQ® restaurant to your town or city? We eagerly await your contact, as the first step in purchasing or constructing a restaurant in your area. If you or someone you know is interested, please navigate towards the captivating "Franchise With Us" graphic at the bottom of this page, where you can find more detailed information about the magnificent franchising opportunities offered by American Dairy Queen Corporation.
Curious as to why your local Dairy Queen® restaurant is not participating in our latest promotion? As you may already know, DQ® restaurants around the world operate as distinct, individually-owned franchises. This decentralization bestows upon franchise operators the authority to decide whether to take part in coupon offers or promotions.
If you wish to establish the day, date, and time on your newly acquired timepiece from Citizen, I am pleased to inform you that the procedure is quite straightforward.I will provide you with the most precise method, which is applicable to the majority of Citizen watches, including the renowned Citizen
Ah, behold! The season of holidays has cunningly sneaked upon us, as it tends to do without fail every passing year. However, prior to distributing those Boo! Books™ and embracing the arrival of 2023, we wish to ensure your ability to keep track of Wendy’s® restaurant hours amidst this
The company known as Kroger, which is officially called The Kroger Company, is a dominant force in the American retail industry and holds the title of being the largest supermarket retailer in the United States based on its revenue. Kroger never fails to provide excellent deals and savings throughout
We are delighted to be the nearest Chick-fil-A® restaurant, serving freshly prepared meals made with high-quality ingredients every day of the week, except for Sundays, of course. Our menu offers a wide range of options, from the iconic Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich, Chicken Nuggets, and Chick-fil-A